March 29, 2021
Phylicia Rashad was once quoted as saying, “When women come together with a collective intention, magic happens.” I couldn’t agree more. I feel privileged to work in a field where I am surrounded by women and witness the magic of collective impact happen. Not to undermine men, but I have seen groups of women put on some amazing fundraisers and special events. Throw in a shared passion such as their children, breast cancer, small business or education, and the magic increases.
This magic is something the Community Foundation of Grundy County had in mind when we began to explore a women’s giving circle. After a few years of trying, we finally found a core group of women with shared interest in supporting our local nonprofit community. In May 2019, we held our first 100+ Women Who Care of Grundy County gathering.
The 100+ Women Who Care is a very simple concept:
- The group meets quarterly.
- Each woman brings $100 to put into the kitty.
- All women nominate an organization to discuss.
- Three nominations are chosen at random and discussed.
- Women then vote on one organization to receive the money in the kitty.
If you wish to be involved but cannot commit to $400 a year, we welcome a team of women to participate. Each team will get one nomination and one vote.
Since May 2019, the group has been able to gather six times and donate more than $12,000 to organizations serving Grundy County. 100+ Women Who Care of Grundy County is looking for more community-minded women to join our group.
100+ Women Who Care is right for you if:
- You believe in the collective power of women.
- You believe in giving back and want 100% of your donation to go directly to local charities.
- You’ve been wanting to help those in need but are not sure how to fit it into your busy schedule.
- You want to become part of creating a powerful new group of women who will make a direct and positive impact in Grundy County.
The next meeting will take place at 5:30 p.m. April 13; the location is to be announced. If you would like to join us or have questions about 100+ Women Who Care, contact the Community Foundation of Grundy County at 815-941-0852.
Devan Gagliardo is program director for the Community Foundation of Grundy County.